Post-16 Personal Development
At Winterbourne Academy we pride ourselves on ensuring every student progresses both academically and socially. Therefore, our PSHE Programme has an important role to play in a young adult’s life; in terms of pastoral support, the British values, SMSC, and careers education which will enable students to become well rounded and successful individuals, now and in the future.
- To create and maintain a point of personal contact with every student through Academic Mentors.
- To monitor, provide support, and maintain high standards and expectations of Sixth Form students.
- Ensure smooth transition into Sixth Form and progression onto post 18 destinations.
- To support teachers to monitor student progress, alongside their physical and mental health and well being.
- Deliver a high quality PSHE programme that shares awareness and knowledge of our PRIDE Values, British values, and SMSC , through regular assemblies and 'Drop Down Days'.
The personal development programme takes into account the needs of young adults and their growing independence. PSHE is delivered through assemblies, timetabled PSHE tutorials and thematic collapsed curriculum days on a termly basis in order to ensure these threads are delivered to every student.
The Sixth form team are responsible for the planning and delivery of quality first pastoral care and support and play a key role alongside our SLT in monitoring the quality of pastoral provision alongside our Academic Mentors.
All students have regular 1-1 mentoring sessions with their Academic Mentor, arranged to be mutually convenient for both student and mentor with a focus on:
- Check-ins to initially establish general well being and mental health of students - triage any immediate concerns that need addressing.
- Attendance: Have realistic, challenging conversations about individual attendance data.
- Review latest subject data and set personal targets. This can then be used to review previously set targets, holding students accountable for their progress.
- Goal setting: Helping students work out their long term goals, up to and beyond Sixth Form.
- Offer support with work experience/UCAS.