Work Experience & Careers
Students at Winterbourne Academy have the opportunity to participate in a week long (up to) Work Experience placement as part of their ongoing careers education and preparation for the world of work.
The benefits of Work Experience for students:
- Gain skills from researching and organising their placement;
- Personal experience of the demands of being an employee;
- Improves understanding of the employer’s sector of industry;
- Improves awareness of routes into careers;
- Develops key employability skills;
- Improves confidence and independence;
- Helps learning to be applied in the wider community and helps further progression;
- Contributes towards academic achievement.
When to go:
Year 10 students will be allowed to take up a Work Experience placement during the following week in July 2019:
- Monday 8th July – Friday 12th July 2018
- Work Experience presentation made to students by Mr Holt - 22 January 2019
Part of the process is for students to find their own placements. This can be done by students contacting companies by letter, email or telephone call. As soon as work experience has been found, students need to fill out the below survey:
When the survey is complete, students will be able to get a card form to be filled out by parents and the company, then returned to reception.
Details needed to complete the survey
- Name of main contact at the company
- Company name
- Job role
- Email address of the company contact
- Telephone number of the contact
- Full address of the company
If students struggle to find a work placement, the academy will provide limited support to enable this to be done.
Thank you to the number of you who have been on contact with me already regarding this. I am very happy that providing the work experience has been authorised with me, for certain “high value” work experiences to happen outside of the times listed above. However, students will still need to find work experience on the official week in addition.
Interim Deputy Headteacher